Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Stars, The Moon, The Sun

Looks like the planets might be lined up just perfectly to this Orange fan.

As I'm sure you heard from multiple sources Lane Kiffin is out as Raiders head coach.

The speculation had already started and it was brewing faster than cabbage stew yesterday.

"On The Block" yesterday, the Axeman made several points pro & con on bringing Kiffin to Syracuse.

I'm for the pro. I heard a ton of fans yesterday (and this morning for that matter) griping "oh we don't need another west coast, nfl, USC guy..... blah blah blah". Ok so Robinson has made us gun shy. So what??

People who are trying to make this guy out as an NFL loser have got it all wrong. ANYONE who coaches under Al Davis is going to be run out of town. Period. Davis' track record shows it. The man is damn near senile anyway. So don't let yesterday's press conference where he bashed Kiffin fool you. And don't let the Raiders record fool you either. They showed improvement last year and while they may have lost this year, at least they were competitive. Isn't that what we want here at SU? Improvement? Competitive?The players in Oakland liked him. The fans wanted him to stay. So this guy isnt quite the NFL loser people make him out to be.

I'd also like to point out that if you don't bring Lane Kiffin in now, who exactly are you holding out for? The guys unemployed. Syracuse needs a young coach who's been successful at the collegiate level. The timing couldnt be better.

I say make the change now. If you wait until the end of the season, you may lose out to another school (UT). If Gross is worried about his approval rating for bringing in another West Coast/USC/NFL guy, I say worry not. Lets say you can GRob now and make the move to bring in Kiffin. I mean do whatever it takes. Once Syracuse starts showing up on the short lists of 4 star and maybe 5 star recruits, fans will forget all about West Coast/USC/NFL guy stuff.

I don't agree with Gross' statement that SU will have the first pick in the draft as far as coaches go. Thats simply not the case. Right now we'd have a decent shot at Kiffin. At the end of the season, not so much. Who's to say a sexier coaching postition won't open up? Down south maybe??

Make the move now. This season is already garbage so focus on whats really important - attendence and recruiting. Hiring Kiffin now will boost both. I know I'm preaching for a quick fix but let's face it, Syracuse needs one. If this move would have been made last year I would have said hold off, get some guys in to interview and pick the right guy for the future of SU football.

I would have said that last year.

This year I say strike while the iron is hot now. I know its not the most popular solution amongst SU fans. but lets face it. The program can't get much worse. What do you really have to lose? A stellar recruiting class?? See one of my earlier posts where I pointed out how Syracuse has gotten their asses kicked on the recruiting trail. Last I checked we've got a whopping four verbals.

Theres noting to lose and everything to gain. Dr Gross, make the move. Annouce that Robinson is no longer coaching SU and you'll get more asses in seats come Novemeber. Bring in lane Kiffin and you'll not only get more asses in seats but you'll be recruiting better.

See the poll ot the left?? That's what your fans want.

No comments: