Monday, October 13, 2008

Can't Complain


So far I havent read anyone else's blog or even looked at the final stats of the WVU game. I will say this, even though the Orange came up short I don't have any complaints. Well, one... but I'll get to that. Now I'm sure that most will point out that had Pat White suited up it would have likey been the blowout we all predicted at the beginning of the season. But he didn't. So there.
First off Brinkley had the best damn game I've seen him perform in yet. Cam Dantley looked pretty good too. Well, up until the end where Mountaineers were coming at him left and right. He made a few ill-advised throws (the INT for one) but he still looked solid. And for once, I didn't see any bad coaching for me to gripse about. The only call I didn't agree with was the last possesion. I believe SU was on the 5 yard line, I'd have given the ball back to Brinkley. He'd been producing all game and on goaline or bust, he's the horse I would have ran.
Thats my only gripe. Now if I'm a WVU fan I'd have lost my voice booing when they wouldn't go away from that screen pass, which kept producing nothing. SU defended it perfectly and, other than the Devine 92 yard scamper to seal SU's fate, performed above par on the day. Normally I'd say that moral victories are for fucking losers but in this day and age of Orange football, its as close as us fans can come to a 'W'. So I'll take it.
After the game I did 100 mph from the driveway to the first traffic light to go see 'The Express". Great movie. The boy and myself both sported our SU gear of course. Knowing full well how the story would end didn't take away from the movie one bit. I loved every scene from start to finish. Rob Brown did a fantastic job as Davis, just fantastic. There wasn't a soul in the theatre who, by the end of the movie, didn't want to hop in a Dolorian and shake Ernie's hand. From what I'd heard about Ernie Davis ever since I was a kid he was humble, honest, hard working, selfless, and just a damn fine young man. Rob Brown pulled that off like a champ. I loved the character.
Something else I really enoyed in the movie was the football action, some of the best I've ever seen on the big screen. The hits were about as reall as they got. hell, I felt them in my freakin toes! There were so many times during the movie that a gave a softer version of Tiger's fist pump. I just loved it. Chronologicly, including Flloyd Little was a nice nice touch. I didn't expect it, but I'm glad that he made an appearance.
How the hell Dennis Quiad hasn't coached before is beyond me. After watching that the guy could easily pass for a college coach. I love how the unbalanced line, which was a vital part of that team, was detailed. He got two thumbs up from me and if I had more hands... probably more.
I'd recommend the movie to not only football fans, but to anyone. For me it was a long wait. I'd been hearing stories about Ernie Davis since I was a kid from my grandfather, my uncles, you name it. To finally see his story play out on the big screen was a once in a lifetime treat. It was a long wait but well worth it.

No comments: