Monday, September 29, 2008

GRob pulled a P

Watching SU gift wrap a win for Pitt on Saturday was enough to make any Syracuse fan cry. But the post-game reading and analysis is what really gets to me. GRob had more "I Don't Knows" in his Sunday Press Conference than Bill Cosby's "Himself"


Press Conference Details Here

On not being good enough to finish the game:
“I’ll look at it and check it out on both sides of the ball. I don’t really know what the answer is, other than they made some plays we didn’t make and we have to assess why. I don’t get replays and all those other things. I don’t know where breakdowns are or what side of the ball they’re on or if it’s in the kicking game. That’s what we have to assess.”

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez............

D-Webbs Blog

"I can say this, on the defensive side of the ball, I felt a comfort zone out there with our players, for the first time all season," Robinson said. "It's the first time all year that I have felt that they were out there functioning together. I don't know when I say reassess or changes, they're still young players that I think are improved. On the offensive side of the ball, that offensive line, again, of the first seven players that play, five of those are young. But they've improved a good amount and I think they can develop some more. I think the wide receiver position is only going to get better. I really do. I see it looking cleaner and cleaner. I think they're competing with each other which is a good thing. That's kind of where I see it. I don't know about any wholesale changes as much as ... also, it's trying to utilize our people to the best of ... I think it's more an understanding of what we have better. Now, it's a matter of trying to put guys in the right spots."

Hell, the only thing he left out was "I'm really excited". I will say this, as an SU fan you learn not to get your hopes up. But dammit, in the first quarter I was about as excited as I've been since the Gross/Robinson merger. The offense, for once, looked solid. And I mean solid. Cam looked decent under center but most importantly, Pitt had to punt a few times! Once the momentum really started to shift in the second half I felt it coming - that collapse of biblical proportions. And there it was.... Now the run game had been solid, mind you. Brinkley was having what looked like a breakout game. Pitt had just scored to nod things up at 24. Took their sweet ass time doing it too. Syracuse needed to respond and I remember looking at the TV trying to distinguish just who in the fuck just ran for a yard or two. Then it hit me.... Boonahs not in the game. So I figured maybe he was fighting off an injury and I figured he'd be back out... nope. Not that series. Antwon Bailey got the call. Antwon 'backup to Hogue' Bailey. What the fuck?? I say again that Brinkley had looked SOLID up to that point, over 100 yards on the day solid. This had me scratching my head the hardest since the prevent defense against Cincy.

The Axeman

"Doug had hurt himself, tweaked his ankle," Robinson said. "I felt we really didn't have him at full speed. Antwon is a guy that has been very impressive to us. The idea was, we're playing to try to win the football game, and when Curtis needed a blow, we needed to put him in. We were going to use Doug just because he's such a fine blocker for third down situations."

Huh?? none of that made sense. Youre playing to win and your work horse who hasnt let you down all game is on the sideline?? Curtis needed a blow?? I'm taking it that means he needed a breather?? How in the fuck does he need a breather when the Pitt scoring drive took almost 5 minutes?? Antwon's been really impressive to you?? Great. And just lemme guess, you're really excited.

Brinkley on not playing that series:

"That was very frustrating. I wanted to be in the game, but at the end of the day it's a coach's decision and the coach decided to put somebody else in. I wasn't hurt or nothing. I wasn't tired. I mean, my momentum carried me throughout the whole game. My adrenaline was rushing from the first play. I ain't get tired throughout any minute of the game.

My guess is nothing short of death would have kept him off the field if he'd had his way. Just another great move by a coach who's days are pretty much fucking numbered. I got flashbacks with this one. I really did. The 2000 VPI game where SU blocked a Hokie punt and then sat on the ball. The 1999 Rutgers game. The prevent defense against Cincy in 2000. Yeah.... the decision to leave Brinkley on the sideline for arguably the most important series of the season had P written all over it.

The worst part is, SU really had a chance in this one. Yet in the 4th quarter they couldnt tackle Otto if they tried. Every Pitt score sank me lower and lower into my chair. Has the hoops schedule come out yet??

1 comment:

Josh said...

Luckily there are only two more home games where we'll have to sit and be embarrassed by the copious quantities of silver bench in view.